by Emily Farris
Mac and Corn 2.0
(Makes 4-6 servings)
1 lb. cavatelli
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large white onion, diced
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup milk
½ lb. sharp cheddar, cubed or shredded
½ lb. white cheddar, cubed or shredded
½ lb. Gruyere, cubed or shredded
½ cup grated Parmesan
1 (10 oz.) bag frozen organic sweet corn
Salt and pepper
½ lb. fresh mozzarella, cubed
2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the garlic and onion in 2-3 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- When onions begin to brown, reduce heat to low, add the milk, and stir.
- Add both of the cheddars and the Gruyere while continuing to stir.
- When cheeses begin to melt, add the pasta, stirring until the pasta is well coated.
- Add the corn while continuing to stir (it should go in frozen).
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the mozzarella and stir.
- When thoroughly mixed, transfer to a 2 3/4 qt. buttered or greased casserole dish and bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly.
- Remove from oven and cover with the sliced tomatoes and the rest of the Parmesan cheese. Bake for about 15 more minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before eating.
Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Casserole
(Makes 8 servings)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
½ large white onion, finely chopped
1 lb. pork or turkey sausage, crumbled
Cayenne pepper, optional
2 cups milk
Salt and pepper
6 slices white or whole wheat bread, cut or torn into half inch cubes
1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onions in olive oil. When the onions are brown, add the sausage and cayenne pepper, if using. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and milk. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the bread cubes, 1 cup of the cheese, and the sausage mixture. Pour into a buttered 2½ to 3 qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 45 min.
- Remove from oven and top with the remaining ½ cup cheddar cheese. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes.
Cheesy Corn Dip
2 (16 oz.) bags frozen sweet corn
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 red bell peppers, finely chopped
1 large white or yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cups sour cream
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F..
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer to a 2 to 2½ qt. lightly greased baking dish and bake, uncovered, for 45-55 minutes or until bubbly.
Serve with corn chips.