1 lb. ground beef
half an envelope dry taco seasoning mix
½ cup chopped onion
16-oz. can refried beans
½ cup sour cream
5 10” flour tortillas
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
6-oz. can black olives, sliced, drained
¼ cup sliced green onions
2 cups shredded lettuce
1 medium-sized tomato, chopped
1. In a large skillet, brown ground beef. Drain off drippings.
2. Stir in taco seasoning and chopped onions. Cook until onions are transparent. Remove from heat.
3. Add refried beans and sour cream. Mix well.
4. Place one tortilla on a pizza pan or stone. Spread one-quarter of meat mixture over the tortilla. Sprinkle with ½ cup cheese and one-quarter of olives and green onions.
5. Place another tortilla on top. Repeat layering 3 more times. Tope with remaining tortilla. Brush with vegetable oil for a crunch top.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until bubbly and browned.
7. Slice into 6 wedges.
8. Pass shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, sour cream, and salsa as toppings.
Cheese and Shrimp Strudel makes 16-18 slices
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 20-25 minutes
Cooling time: 20 minutes
Half a 17.25-oz. pkg. (1 sheet) frozen puff pastry, thawed
1½ cups (6 ozs.) shredded Swiss cheese
½ cup sour cream
¼ cup thinly sliced green onion
1 cup (4 ozs.) cooked shrimp, chopped <i>or</i> 4.5-oz. can shrimp, rinsed, drained, and chopped
1 egg, beaten
1. On a lightly floured surface, roll the thawed puff pastry to a 10 x 18 rectangle.
2. Place rectangle of pastry on lightly greased, large baking sheet.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, stir together cheese, sour cream, onion, shrimp, and half the beaten egg (about 2 Tbsp.).
4. Spread the mixture length-wise down half of the rectangle. Brush edges of pastry (using pastry brush) with some of the remaining beaten egg.
5. Carefully fold dough over the filling and seal edges with the tines of a fork. Brush top and sides of strudel with remaining egg.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and cool 20 minutes before slicing.
8. With a very sharp knife, slice slightly on the diagonal. Tip: You can also make this with crabmeat, or a combination of shrimp and crab.
Fresh Fruit Dip makes 1 cup
Prep time: 5 minutes
8 ozs. sour cream or vanilla yogurt
1 Tbsp. sugar
½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
¼ tsp. vanilla
2 garlic cloves, sliced
¼ cup sliced white onion
1 Tbsp. oil
10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed as dry as possible
8 eggs, beaten, or 16 ozs. Eggbeaters
½ -1 tsp. dried oregano, according to your taste preference
4 ozs. feta cheese
1. In large skillet, sauté garlic and onion in oil for 3-4 minutes.
2. Stir in spinach.
3. Pour eggs and oregano into hot skillet.
4. Cook, turning 2-3 times until eggs are lightly cooked, about 5 minutes.
5. Turn off heat, crumble cheese over top of spinach-egg mixture. Cover and let set for 2 minutes, or until cheese melts into eggs. Variations:
1. For added color and flavor, stir half a sweet red bell pepper, chopped, into Step 1.
2. For additional flavor, add ¼ tsp. black or white pepper and 1/8 tsp. salt in Step 3.
10-oz. refrigerated pizza crust
¼ cup milk or cream
6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
2 cups shredded cheddar, or Monterey Jack cheese
1. Unroll pizza crust onto baking sheet.
2. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
3. Whisk together eggs and milk in large mixing bowl.
4. Cook in skillet until eggs start to congeal, about 3-4 minutes. Spoon onto crust.
5. Top with bacon and cheese.
6. Bake and additional 10 minutes until eggs and set and crust is golden brown. Ham and Cheese Sticky Buns makes 12 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
24 party-size potato rolls
1 lb. sliced Swiss cheese
½ lb. sliced ham
1 cup butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. prepared mustard
2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1. Slice rolls in half and place bottoms in 9 x 13 pan.
2. Layer on cheese and ham, and top with roll tops.
3. Melt butter and add sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and poppy seeds. Bring to boil and let boil 2 minutes.
4. Immediately pour over rolls and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Half a head of romaine lettuce, chopped
Half a head of red leaf lettuce, chopped
Half a large red onion, sliced
1 cup dried cherries
1 cup feta cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup pecan dressing
4 Tbsp. raspberry vinegar
½ tsp. Tabaso sauce
½ tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. sugar
pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
½ cup vegetable oil
1. Place lettuces in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with onion slices, dried cherries, and feta cheese.
2. In skillet, over medium heat, combine 1/3 cup sugar and pecans. Stir constantly until sugar melts and pecans are coated. Immediately pour pecans onto waxed paper to cool.
3. Sprinkle cooled nuts over salad.
4. To make dressing, combine vinegar, Tabasco sauce, salt, 4 Tbsp. sugar, pepper and parsley in a small mixing bowl. While whisking, slowly pour in oil until emulsified. Just before serving, pour over salad.
Cranberry Chili Chicken Makes 4-6 servings
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
½ cup chili sauce
2 Tbsp. orange marmalade
½ cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
¼ tsp. ground allspice
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine chili sauce, orange marmalade, cranberry sauce, and allspice. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, brown several breast halves at a time in oil for about 5 minutes on each side. (Be careful not to crowd the skillet or the breasts won’t brown as well). Place browned breasts on a platter until all are finished browning.
3. Return all breasts to skillet. Pour chili-cranberry mixture over chicken. Cover and simmer 8 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking 2 more minutes, or until chicken is cooked and sauce is of desired consistency.
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup hot water, or brewed coffee
¼ cup butter, melted
½ tsp. vanilla
1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, and hot water or coffee.
2. Add egg and butter. Mix well.
3. Pour into a greased 8”-square baking pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. Cool. Dust with confectioners sugar. Cut and serve.