From the Fix-It and Forget-It BIG Cookbook by Phyllis Good
Barbecued Turkey Legs
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 5-7 Hours
Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-5 Quarts
4 Turkey drumsticks
1-2 Tsp. salt
1/4-1/2 tsp. pepper
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3/4 tsp. hickory smoke
2 Tbsp instant minced onion
1. Sprinkle turkey with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker.
2. Combine remaining ingredients. Pour over turkey.
3. Cover. cook on Low 5-7 hours.
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Prep time 5-15 minutes depending upon the kind of potatoes you use
Cooking time: 3-4 hours for fresh potatoes, 2-5 hours for frozen hash browns
Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4-5 quarts
2 Tbsp. dried minced onion
1 Medium clove garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
8-10 medium fresh potatoes, sliced or 30 oz bag of frozen hash browns, divided
8 oz pkg. cream cheese, cubed, divided
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
1. Spray interior of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray
2. In a small bowl, combine onion, garlic, and salt
3. Layer about one-fourth of onion-garlic mixture over potatoes.
4. Spoon about one-third of cream cheese cubes over top.
5. Repeat layers, ending with the seasoning.
6. If using fresh potatoes, cook on High 3-4 hours or until potatoes are tender. If using frozen hash browns, cook on High 2 hours, or on Low 4-5 hours, or until potatoes are tender and cooked through.
7. Stir potatoes to spread out the cream cheese. If you wish, you can mash the potatoes at this point.
8. If you like, sprinkle shredded cheese over top of the sliced or mashed potatoes.
9. Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. .
Blueberry-Apple Waffle Topping
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 3 Hours
Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 3 1/2-4 Quarts
1 quart natural applesauce, unsweetened
2 Granny Smith apples, unpeeled, cored, and sliced
1 pint fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp. almond flavoring
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1. Stir together applesauce, apples, and blueberries in slow cooker sprayed with non-fat cooking spray.
2. Add cinnamon and maple syrup.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 3 hours.
4. Add almond flavoring and walnuts just before serving.
If your diet allows, this is also delicious served over cake or fat-free frozen yogurt.