Fix-It and Forget-It Christmas Cookbook
by Phyllis Pellman Good
For more on Pellman Good’s books, go to www.goodbooks.com
Breakfast Apple Cobbler
(Makes 6-8 servings)
Prep Time: 15 mintues
Cook Time: 2 – 9 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 3 1/2-4 qts
8 medium apples, cored, peeled, sliced
1/4 cup sugar
dash of cinnamon
juice of 1 lemon
half a stick butter, melted (4 Tbsp)<,br> 2 cups granola
1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker
2. Cover. Cook on Low 7-9 hours (while you sleep), or on High 2-3 hours (after you’re up in the morning).
(Makes 6 servings)
Prep Time: 10 mintues
Cook Time: 8-10 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 6 qt
4 lbs. pork ribs
1/2 cup brown sugar
12 oz jar chili sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp hot sauce
1. Place ribs in slow cooker.
2. Combine remaining ingredients in a good-sized bowl.
3. Pour half of sauce over ribs.
4. Cover. Cook on Low 8-10 hours.
5. Serve with remaining sauce.
Christmas Sugared Walnuts
(Makes 3-4 servings)
Prep Time: 10 mintues
Cook Time: 2-3 hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 2-3 qt
1 lb walnut pieces
1 stick unsalted butter, melted (8 tbsp)
1/2 cup, confectioners sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1. In slow cooker, stir walnuts and butter together until combined.
2. Add confectioners sugar, stirring to coat nuts evenly.
3. Cover. Cook on High 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to low.
4. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally until nuts are coated with a crisp glaze about 2 hours.
5. Transfer nuts to a serving bowl.
6. In a small bowl, combines spices. Sift over nuts, stirring to coat evenly.
7. Cook nuts completely before serving.
Green Bean Casserole
(Makes 4 servings)
Prep Time: 10-15 mintues
Cook Time: 3-4 hours
14 1/2 oz green beans, drained, divided
3 1/2 oz can French-fried onions, divided
1 cup grated cheddar cheese, divided
8 oz can water chestnuts, drained, divided
10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup white wine or water
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1. Alternate layers of half the beans, half the onions, half the cheese, and half the water chestnuts in slow cooker. Repeat
2. Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl. Pour over vegetables in slow cooker.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 3-4 hours
SLOW COOKER TURKEY & DRESSING
(Makes 4-6 servings)
Prep Time: 10 – 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 – 6 Hours
Ideal slow cooker size: 5-6 qt
8 oz pkg or 2-6 oz pkgs stuffing mix
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 stick (2 tbsp) butter, softened
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup dried cranberries
3 lb boneless turkey breast
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Spread dry stuffing mix in greased slow cooker.
2. Add water, butter, onion, celery, and cranberries. Mix well.
3. Sprinkle turkey breast with basil, salt, and pepper. Place over stuffing mixture.
4. Cover. Cook on Low 5-6 hours or until turkey is done but NOT dry.
5. Remove turkey. Slice and set aside.
6. Gently stir stuffing and allow to stand 5 minutes before serving.
7. Place stuffing on platter, topped with sliced turkey