Fix-It and Forget-It Kids Cookbook
by Phyllis Pellman Good
For more on Pellman Good’s books, go to www.goodbooks.com
Crunchy Snack Mix
(Makes 3 quarts Snack Mix )
Prep Time: 5 mintues
Cook Time: 3 hours
3 cups thin pretzel sticks
4 cups Wheat Chex
4 cups Cheerios
12 oz can salted peanuts
half a stick butter (1/4 cup)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
Large mixing bowl
large wooden spoon
small microwave safe glass bowl
potholder 4 qt slow cooker
tightly covered container
1. Mix pretzels, white chex, cheerios and peanuts in a large bowl with a wooden spoon.
2. Place butter into a small microwave-safe glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap.
Microwave the butter on low for 30 seconds or until melted. Using a potholder, remove the bowl
3. Stir the garlic powder, celery salt, seasoned salt, and parmesan cheese into the butter.
4. Carefully pour the butter mixture over the pretzels and cereal.
5. Stir until everything is well mixed
6. Spoon the mix into your slow cooker. Cover. Cook on Low for 2 1/2 hours.
7. You will need to stir the Mix every 30 minutes. Use a timer to remind yourself. Use a potholder to lift the lid. Carefully stir the Mis with a wooden spoon. Cover while it contines to cook.
8. After 2 1/2 hours, use your potholder to take off the lid.
9. Let the Mix cook without the lid for another 30 minutes on Low.
10. Serve warm or at room temperature.
11. After the Mix has cooked, store it in a tightly covered container.
Hearty Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
(Makes 6 servings)
Prep Time: 15 mintues
Cook Time: 3-4 hours
8 slices bread
2 cups grated cheddar, Awiss, or American cheese (8 oz)
1 cup cooked, chopped ham
1 cup light cream or milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp parsley
1 cup evaporated milk
a sprinkle of paprika
cooking spray 3-4 qt slow cooker
medium-sized mixing bowl
safety can opener
1. Lightly grease the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray.
2. Tear the crust off each slice of bread. Then tear the bread into bite sized squares. Put the torn bread (without the crusts) into the bottom of your slow cooker.
3. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the bread
4. Then put the ham cubes on top of the cheese
5. Have an adult help you crack the eggs into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the cream, salt, and parsley to the eggs.
6. Use the can opener to open the can of evaporated milk. Add 1 cup of evaporated milk to the egg mixture
7. Whisk together the egg mixture until well mixed
8. Carefully pour the egg mixture over the bread, cheese, and ham in the slow cooker.
9. Sprinkle the Casserole lightly with paprika
10. Cover the slow cooker. cook on Low for 3-4 hours.
11. After 3 hours, use a potholder to lift the lid. Stick a table knife into the center. If nothing is sticking to the knife, or if only fine crumbs are sticking to it, it is done. Otherwise, cover the slow cooker and cook for another hour.
(Makes 12 servings)
Prep Time: 10-15 mintues
Cook Time: 3-4 hours
1 loaf Italian bread
1 pint blueberries
8 oz pkg. cream cheese
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla
5 qt slow cooker
Medium sized mixing bowl
1. Tear the bread into bite sized pieces. Place half of the bread pieces into the slow cooker.
2. Drop half of the blueberries on top of the bread.
3. Have an adult help you cut the cream cheese into cubes, each about 1/2 inch square.
4. Sprinkle half of the cream cheese cubes over the blueberries.
5. Put the rest of the bread pieces on top of the cream cheese in the slow cooker.
6. Then layer the rest of the blueberries on the top of the bread.
7. Finally, layer the rest of the cream cheese cubes on top of the blueberries.
8. Have an adult help you break the eggs into a medium sized mixing bowl.
9. Add the milk and vanilla to the eggs and whisk them together until they are well mixed.
10. Carefully spoon or pour the egg mixture over the bread, blueberries, and cheese.
11. Cover your slow cooker. Cook on Low for 3-4 hours, until the dish is set. You will know that it is set if you move the slow cooker gently and the food does not move!
Serving suggestion: Serve with maple syrup or blueberry sauce drizzled over top.
FRUITY WAFFLE TOPPING
(Makes 10-12 servings)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 3 Hours
1 qt unsweetened applesauce
2 cups appple slices, peeled or unpeeled
1 pt fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp almond flavoring
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
3 1/2-4 qt slow cooker
Large wooden spoon
1. Light spray the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray.
2. Carefully stir together the applesauce, apple slices, and blueberries in the slow cooker.
3. Add cinnamon and maple syrup to the apple blueberry mixture. Mix well.
4. Cover the slow cooker and turn the heat to Low.
5. Cook the Fuity topping on Low for 3 hours.
6. Just before you are ready to serve the Topping, use a potholder to remove the slow cooker lid.
7. Add the almond flavoring, and walnuts if you wish, to the Topping mixture. Stir carefully.
8. When you are ready to serve, use a ladle to carefully scoop the Topping on to fresh waffles, pancakes, cake, or ice cream.
**You can buy sliced apples in the grocery store**
GOOEY CHOCOLATE CAKE PUDDING
(Makes 8 servings)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 2-3 Hours
1 cup dry all purpose baking mix
1 cup sugar, divided
3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder, plus 1/3 cup, divided
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 2/3 cups hot water
3 1/2 qt slow cooker
Medium sized mixing bowl
Small mixing bowl
1. Spray the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray.
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the baking mix, 1/2 cup sugar, 3 tbsp cocoa powder, milk, and vanilla. Spoon the batter into your slow cooker and spread it out evenly.
3. In a small mxiing bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, and the hot water together. Carefully pour this mixture over the batter. Do NOT stir.
4. Cover your slow cooker. Cook the cake on high 2-3 hours.
5. After 2 hours, use a potholder to remove the lid. Carefully stick a toothpick into the center of the Cake and pull it out. IF the toothpick looks wet, the Cake needs to keep cooking. If it has some dry crumbs on it, it’s time to eat.
6. If the Cake needs to cook longer, continue to test it with a toothpick every 15 minutes unit it’s done.
Serving Suggestion: Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Top with powdered sugar and whipped cream if you wish.
**The batter will rise to the top and turn into cake. Underneath will be a rich chocolate pudding. Make sure you scoop down to get some of the gooey chocolate when you serve the cake.