Thanks to Kelly McNelis of New Leaf Wellness for sharing these recipes on Problems & Solutions. You can receive her newsletter through her website at www.newleafwellness.biz and that’s also how you order her eCookbooks.
Crockpot Beef Roast and Carrots
Ingredients * 2-pound boneless beef chuck shoulder roast (No substitutions! This is the best cut of meat for the slow cooker.) * 1-2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces * 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil * 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar * 1 seasoning packet (We love the store-bought McCormick mesquite and chipotle seasonings) OR 3 tablespoons of your favorite homemade seasoning mix.
Directions 1. Combine all ingredients in your crockpot. 2. Add lid, and cook on “low” setting for 8-10 hours until beef shreds easily with a fork.
To Freeze and Cook Later Combine all ingredients in a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible and freeze for up to three months. When ready to eat, thaw overnight in refrigerator. Cook on “low” setting for 8-10 hours, or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
Serve with rice or potatoes. YUM.
Slow Cooker Cranberry Pork Roast
Yields: 4 servings
- 2.5 pound bone-in pork shoulder (sometimes labeled as a “Boston butt” or “pork butt”)
- 15oz can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- Combine all ingredients in your slow cooker and cook on “low” setting for 6-8 hours or until pork shreds easily with a fork.
- Remove bones and shred meat.
To Freeze and Cook Later
Combine all ingredients in a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag and freeze for up to three months. When ready to eat, thaw overnight in refrigerator. Add to slow cooker and cook on “low” setting for 6-8 hours or until pork shreds easily with a fork. Remove bones and shred meat.
I recommend serving the leftover cranberry mixture in the slow cooker with the meat – it’s so yummy! Add some sides of green beans and stuffing and dinner is done.
Slow Cooker Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Yields: 6 servings
- 2 pounds of ground chicken (you can also substitute ground beef or ground turkey when they’re on sale at the grocery store)
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large carrots, grated (1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Add all ingredients to your slow cooker and cook on “low” setting for 4-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Break apart chicken and serve.
Add all ingredients to a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible, seal, and freeze for up to three months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight and then cook in slow cooker for 4-6 hours on “low” setting. Break apart chicken and spoon onto lettuce.
Serve on big pieces of iceberg or Boston Bibb lettuce. YUM.