1 lb. bacon
¼ cup chopped onions
¾ cup ketchup
½ cup brown sugar
3 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
¾ tsp. salt
4 cups green beans
1. Brown bacon in skillet until crisp and then break into pieces. Reserve 2 Tbsp. bacon drippings.
2. Sauté onions in bacon drippings.
3. Combine ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Stir into bacon and onions.
4. Pour mixture over green beans and mix lightly.
5. Pour into slow cooker and cook on High 3-4 hours, or on Low 6-8 hours.
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup flour
3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ cup milk
2 Tbsp. melted butter
½ tsp. vanilla
¾ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1¾ cups boiling water
1. Mix together 1 cup brown sugar, flour, 3 Tbsp. cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
2. Stir in milk, butter, and vanilla. Spread over the bottom of slow cooker.
3. Mix together ¾ cup brown sugar and ¼ cup cocoa. Sprinkle over mixture in slow cooker.
4. Pour in boiling water. Do not stir.
5. Cover and cook on High 2-3 hours, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Southwest Hot Chip Dip
1. Combine ground beef, beans, tomatoes, and taco seasoning in slow cooker.
2. Cover. Cook on Low 3-4 hours, or on High 1½ hours.
3. Add cheese. Stir occasionally. Heat until cheese is melted.
Serve with tortilla chips. This can be a main dish when served alongside a soup.
Roasted Pepper and Artichoke Spread
Makes 3 cups, or about 12 servings
Prep. Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Ideal slow-cooker size: 1- to 1 1/2 –qt.
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup mayonnaise
8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 garlic clove, minced
14-oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped finely
1/3 cup finely chopped roasted red bell peppers (from 7 1/4 –oz. jar)
1. Combine Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, cream cheese, and garlic in food processor. Process until smooth. Place mixture in slow cooker.
2. Add artichoke hearts and red bell pepper. Stir well.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 1 hour. Stir again.
Serving suggestion: Use as spread for crackers, cut-up fresh vegetables, or snack-bread slices.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Makes 6-8 servings
Prep. Time: 5-10 min.
Cooking Time: 8 hours
Ideal slow-cooker size: 4- to 5-qt.
4 chicken breast halves
2 15-oz. cans black beans, undrained
2 15-oz. cans Mexican stewed tomatoes, or Rotel tomatoes
1 cup salsa (mild, medium, or hot, whichever you prefer)
4-oz. can chopped green chilies
14½-oz. can tomato sauce
1. Combine all ingredients in large slow cooker.
2. Cover. Cook on Low 8 hours.
3. Just before serving, remove chicken breasts and slice into bite-sized pieces. Stir into soup.
Serving suggestion: To serve, put a handful of tortilla chips in each individual soup bowl. Ladle soup over chips. Top with shredded cheese.